5.11.2011

fluted honey ricotta cake {bwd}

For this week's Baking With Dorie assignment, we were transported to Tuscany with a recipe using ricotta, figs, honey, lemon zest, cornmeal. Can you imagine eating this under a grape arbor, sipping some prosecco? Mmm.


Perhaps you've noticed that my picture is missing one of the key ingredients. I will be the first to admit that I am not a fig fan. When I saw this recipe called for 16 of them, I shuddered a bit. Then I thought, "Well, I'll just make a honey ricotta cake. Minus the figs. The ladies at the music meeting won't know the difference." I also didn't have the cornmeal on hand, so I used all flour (rather than the 1 cup cornmeal/ ½ cup flour.  Interestingly enough, someone asked me if I had used cornmeal! Now I'm curious how it would have turned out had I stayed true.)

The cake is dense, very moist, and flavorful; I particularly liked the lemon zest. With the figs, you'd have the added textural and flavor interest. I wish I had sprinkled some sliced almonds on top for a little crunch, but regardless, this is definitely a cake I'd make again.


You can head over to Healthy Eating for Ordinary People for the recipe. This was a great pick!

3 comments:

  1. I made this recipe this week, too, and I also had to improvise - big time! Your version looks lovely, and thanks for linking to my site for the recipe! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It worked even without the cornmeal & figs - now that's what you call a winning recipe ;-)
    Your cake looks delicious. I'm looking forward to all my 'rewind' recipes. Thanks for baking with us this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cake is golden in all ways. Sorry, it took me so long to get here.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...