4.30.2010

the daughter, the baker

I feel compelled to blog about The Daughter's cookie.

To begin, for the past month, she has wanted to make a maple cookie. For reasons initially unbeknownst to me, I was reluctant to let her get started on the recipe, but she persisted in asking, and today she finally baked the cookie.  I was busy teaching piano and walked in only once- in time to see her dropping the very wet dough onto a crowded sheet. Being the hands-off mom that I am ‹cough› and trying very hard not to micromanage her, I said nothing. As you probably surmised, the sheets ended up looking like a bunch of multiplying cells...








As I bit into one, it brought back memories of my mother's Maple Walnut Cookies, a treat I haven't thought of in over twenty years.  I distinctly remember a lot of burnt ones, and maybe that was my subconscious aversion to the idea. This cookie, however, is delicious.  It has a crisp edge with a chewy, buttery center. The coconut adds just the right amount of interest for texture, and I prefer it to its previous incarnation with walnuts.

The first cookie disappeared so quickly, I had to eat a second to make certain I really liked it.

I really do.

Chewy Maple Cookie
from taste of home cookies

1/2 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup flaked coconut

Preheat oven to 375ºF.

In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in the egg, syrup, and vanilla until well mixed.  Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl;  add to the creamed mixture.  Stir in coconut.

Drop by tablespoonfuls 2-inches apart onto greased baking sheets.  Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.  Remove to wire racks to cool completely.

5 comments:

  1. Like mother, like daughter! I think she did great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story! I have a daughter too that loves to bake cookies. Now if I could teach her to love doing dishes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Candy Girl- I had to laugh at your comment. I took a picture of the sink and considered posting the aftermath of her baking- I guess I should be thankful that the equipment got as far as it did. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who knows...maybe your daughter is a "Pastry Chef in the making"...

    Carmen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...