11.17.2017

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Streusel Loaf



Nary a day passes without my thinking about blogging. One would never know, considering that my half-year silences grow ever my frequent. Yet, I do think, and I have stayed quiet. Sometimes it's just a matter of will to start the fingers typing and maybe, just maybe, inspiration hits.


Autumn flies by. Leaves turn russet, auburn and golden. Pumpkins proliferate. I love this season, and I couldn't let it escape without a new recipe. Three operative words: CHOCOLATE CHIP STREUSEL.

I am sure most of you have some sort of go-to pumpkin bread ideal, whether it's your homemade or store-bought treat. I love me a good streusel and the topping, combined with a chocolatey interior ribbon, won a definite place in my standard baking repertoire.

I tried five iterations of it and settled on this version. I like my streusel with some body to it and so I added flour and a little more butter to the topping; the original recipe was too crumbly.



PUMPKIN BREAD WITH CHOCOLATE CHIP STREUSEL
slightly altered from NYTimes, Melissa Clark

For the streusel:

1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon cold butter, divided
1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
4 teaspoons flour


For the cake:

1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup light brown sugar, packed
½ cup canola oil
2 large eggs
½ cup pumpkin
½ cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Heat the oven to 350º. Grease and flour a nonstick 9-inch loaf pan. (Or, if the pan is not nonstick, line with parchment paper and butter the paper.)

Prepare the streusel: In a bowl, combine the brown sugars, nuts, cinnamon and ginger. Cut in 1/2 tablespoon butter with pastry blender or your fingers until mixture is crumbly. Divide the mixture in half and add the chocolate chips to one half. To the other half, add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter and 4 teaspoons flour and set this aside for the topping.

For the cake: In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat sugars and oil until light and fluffy.  Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add pumpkin, sour cream and vanilla extract; mix well. Gradually beat in flour mixture.

Spoon ⅔ of the batter into the pan. Sprinkle the chocolate chip streusel over the batter, not allowing streusel to touch sides of pan. Top with remaining batter. Make sure batter layer touches edges of pan. Sprinkle remaining streusel on the top.

Bake for 55-65 minutes, or until wood pick inserted in cake comes out clean. Cool for 30 minutes in pan on wire rack. Untold and cool completely.




22 comments:

  1. I discovered your blog by way of Google at the same time as looking for a comparable topic, your site got here up, it seems to be great. I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks. Let become a spellcaster in game sims 4 skill cheats

    ReplyDelete

  2. You know how to get your readers' attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also found your posts very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this blog, I really enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to thank you for this good read!! I certainly enjoyed every little bit of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello would you mind stating which blog platform you’re using?
    I’m going to start my own blog soon but I’m having

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good blog and absolutely exceptional.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A good blog always contains new and exciting information, and reading.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for providing a good quality article.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking for some more information from your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic site. Lots of helpful information here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I m very pleased to read this article.

    ReplyDelete

  13. It's really pleasure to read your post. Thank you so much for writing such a nice post

    ReplyDelete

  14. I read your article very impressively I want to write something like this

    ReplyDelete

  15. Wonderful post however , I was wanting to know if you could write a litte more on this subject

    ReplyDelete
  16. You’re a very skilled blogger. I have joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your wonderful post

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...