10.17.2012

chai tea concentrate

What are your favorite cool weather drinks? Are you a coffee or a tea kind of person? Hot chocolate or hot apple cider?

Coffee has always been my first love, that is, until I tried the Chai Tea Latte at Starbucks. I was smitten with the wonderful mix of spices — cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.

So you can imagine my excitement at finding a recipe for a mixture containing both dairy and spice. Now, I can have a chai tea on a daily basis without the hefty price tag!
All you need is a can of condensed milk

mixed with ground cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg,

plus a steamy cup of hot black tea.

Add a spoonful or two of the chai tea concentrate and voila!

I feel compelled to footnote this post with a digression into semantics. Some of you probably know that "chai" means tea in some european and asian languages. To say "chai tea" is akin to saying something like "café coffee".  Since the phrase is what Tazo marketers have ingrained into the american consciousness, I'm sticking with it here. Chai Concentrate doesn't quite have the same ring to it, does it?

Chai Tea Concentrate

1 14-ounce can of condensed milk
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground cloves

Pour the condensed milk into a glass container. Add the spices and mix all the ingredients together. Keeps in refrigerator for a month.

This post is linked to the following:  show and shareholiday haventatertots and jello, i'm lovin' itfrugal girlsshow and telltasty tuesdaystip me tuesdayhome stories a to zcrazy sweet tuesday, tuesday talent show, wow me wednesdaysugar and dots, something swanky, pin it thursday, Sundae Scoopmade by you mondays friday flair,  c.r.a.f.t., show me what you got, saturday 7 party, it's party time

5 comments:

  1. this is great! thanks for posting! it's going to save me a lot of money!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how I could have missed this post! I will definitely have to try it. I, unfortunately, have found a love for sweetened condensed milk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you say condensed milk, are you referring to regular condensed milk or the sweeter version?

    One is Carnation evaporated mile .. the other would be eagles brand condensed milk - I ask because I am diabetic and can't use the sweet condensed milk

    Thank you - maggiemac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maggiemac, the milk is sweetened condensed. As an alternative, you can use evaporated and whatever substitute sweetener you would use.

      Rebecca

      Delete
    2. I don't know how long it would last, however, in the refrigerator. Probably not a month.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...