8.30.2011

cauliflower with anchovies

Hurricane Irene came barreling up the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast coast this past weekend. I live in the New York metropolitan area, and we braced ourselves for the heavy rains, storm surges, flooding and power outages. 

For the latter, that meant freezer diving. I wanted to rid ourselves of what we were stockpiling, just in case the power was out for days. The Kids were laughing that I was force feeding them ice cream. "Do I HAVE to eat more Mango Sorbet?" We ate through frozen pizzas, mini crab cakes, tacos, fish sticks... you get the idea.

What I did manage to cook from scratch were some vegetables, and not just any veggies, but one of the Top Three on The Kids' Fave Veggie Dish List. It may be hard to imagine that


plus

disintegrating into this


would yield a satisfying vegetable side dish. You'll have to try it to believe me. The anchovies cook down to a salty paste, and when combined with garlic, olive oil and red pepper, create a wonderful sauce. You toss in the cauliflower and some water and eight minutes later, tasty veggies! 

Cauliflower with Anchovies and Garlic
adapted from How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman


½ tin anchovies (The Kids love the flavor and insist on a whole tin.)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
¼ cup water

In a large sauté pan over medium heat, cook the anchovies with olive oil until reduced to a paste. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for one minute. Add the cauliflower and water, continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until cauliflower is tender, about 8-10 minutes. Season with salt to taste. (When I use the whole tin, I add no salt.)



4 comments:

  1. Yipee! I've been waiting for this recipe ever since you mentioned it back in March of 2010 (yes, I actually remember this!) Can't wait to try it! I think I've had anchovies sitting in the wings of my pantry for six months - just in case! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know just what you mean about freezer diving, because we did exactly the same thing this weekend. Our power DID go out, and of course - Murphy's law - I had just baked and frozen 6 loaves of challah bread before the weekend. Oh well. Life goes on - glad our power's back up and we're all safe and healthy! :)
    This recipe looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rivki, glad your power is back up. Did the challah survive?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a memory! I hope you guys like it- and if they do, Costco sells the anchovies in bulk too! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...