7.04.2010

north fork peach raspberry pie {sms}

Welcome to Sweet Melissa Sundays' Baked Good of the Week— North Fork Peach Raspberry Pie. What better choice for a summery dessert on the Fourth of July?


Luscious fruits in season.


I was a bit hesitant to make this, however, because The Pie Crust and I, we are frenemies.  I can't master it. I've avoided it for the better part of my life. The Crust is finicky, hard to read, tough to handle, and just an all-around pain in the neck.  I know though that if handled with a little TLC, The Crust can be exquisite. I love it when it cooperates and hate it the other 99% of the time.

(The piano teacher voice in my head is saying, "What do you expect?  You have to work harder! Do it 10x!" Like I want to eat 9.9 pies with tough crusts? )

The recipe calls for Flaky Pie Crust, based on Julia Child's recipe. For a first go-around, I follow recipes to a t, except in this instance I used the food processor instead of a pastry blender, which I do not own.  The flavor: meh (in this instance, more butter really is better). The texture: passable- not too tough, but not flaky enough.  (I blame that on my inexperience with pie crust.)  I wish the bottom crust had more integrity to it; it was soggy and forgettable.  Next time, I'll try pre-baking it a bit. Also, I used a ceramic dish and have read somewhere that an aluminum plate is ideal. 

The filling flavor was tasty and slightly tart, which I attribute to the raspberries.  My last attempt at a fruit pie for {sms} was pretty successful; this try was less so, given the soupy consistency of it.  Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that I foolishly and impatiently cut into it after about an hour.  We had invited The Neighbors over for dessert, it was getting late...

so, the pie pieces were a runny mess.
Fruit soup, anyone? 

At least their cute 2-year old ate up the fruit.  

Lesson learned: Never mess with a warm fruit pie!

P.S.— After an overnight exile in the refrigerator, the pie seemed less runny, though that could be because all the juices had already run into the pie plate.

Being a relative newbie at pie making, I still have lots to learn about getting the crust texture and filling consistency right. Practice does make perfect and I hope to practice more this summer.  I'm curious to see how all the other wonderful bakers' pies turned out.  You can see their results here.


NORTH FORK PEACH RASPBERRY PIE


Flaky Pie Dough

2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch pieces
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening
6 to 8 tablespoons ice water


Peach Raspberry Filling

¾cup sugar plus 2 teaspoons, for sprinkling
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons tapioca pearls, ground to a flour
1⁄8 teaspoon salt
6 cups peeled and sliced ripe peaches (about 3¼ pounds)
1 dry pint fresh raspberries
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon

Egg Wash


1 large egg
2 tablespoons heavy cream
Pinch kosher salt


To make the piecrust dough:

Whisk the flour and salt in bowl.  Take the butter from the freezer and, using your hands, quickly drop each piece separately into the flour mixture.  Every now and then using your fingers, toss the butter pieces into the flour so that each piece of cold butter is covered with flour.

Using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour until the butter is the size of large peas.

Take the shortening from the freezer and, using your fingertips, scoop out little pieces and toss them into the flour with your fingers as you go.  Using the pastry blender, cut the shortening into the flour mixture until the shortening and the butter are the size of medium to small peas.

Make a well in the center of the flour mixture with your fingers.  Pour half of the ice-cold water into the well. Use a fork to gently pull the flour from the sides of the bowl into the well.  Keep turning the bowl and pulling the flour in.  The dough should start to come together.  Now, add half of the remaining water and continue to pull toward the middle.  When the dough has enough water, it will hold together when you squeeze it in the palm of your hand.  If it is holding together, stop.  If it is not quite there yet, add the remaining water and toss until it does.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface.  Pat it together into one piece.  Divide the dough into two equal parts, flatten each into a round disk, and then wrap tightly in plastic wrap.  Refrigerate at least 45 minutes.  

To prepare piecrust:

Lightly flour a work surface.  Unwrap the dough disk, lightly flour the top, and, using a rolling pin, press gently on the dough, from the middle upward, and then the middle downward.  Turn the dough disk a quarter turn and repeat the light pressing process.  Add more flour if needed to prevent sticking.  Roll out each round 14 inches wide and ¼ inch thick.  Gently fit one into a 10-inch pie plate, and lay the other flat on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to assemble, at least 30 minutes.

Before you make the filling:

Position a rack in the bottom third of your oven.  Preheat the oven to 350ºF.  Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.

To make the filling:

In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, tapioca flour, and salt.

In a large bowl, stir together the peaches, raspberries, and zest.  Sprinkle the sugar mixture over the fruit and stir gently to combine.

Pour the fruit mixture into the unbaked pie shell.

Place the second dough layer over the filled pie shell.  Fold under the edge and crimp.

To complete the pie:

For the egg wash:  Using a fork, combine the egg with the heavy cream and salt.

Brush the top crust with the egg wash and sprinkle with the 2 teaspoons sugar.  Cut 4 2-inch steam vents in the top crust.

Place the pie plate on the prepared cookie sheet.  Bake for 1 hour and 45 minutes, or until the juices are bubbling and thick.  Remove to a wire rack to cool to room temperature before serving.

Fruit pies are best eaten the day they are baked.






20 comments:

  1. I didn't make the SMS pie crust because my last attempt with it didn't turn out well instead I used a very simple crust from an older lady at church, it is always perfect.
    I didn't use the Tapioca but is was still good, i added a bit more of the cornstarch. It was a perfect thing to have for the 4th!
    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca,

    Great post...some of your comments about the crust making funny...yea, I, too, still cringe at the thought of making pie dough.

    Love the photos...and the stars!

    Have a happy 4th with your family my blogger friend!

    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should try the Cook's Illustrated pie crust that has about 2 tbsp of Vodka. Alcohol burns off but extra liquid helps the crust come together and it stays light and flaky.

    - Serena

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum it looks great! Sorry I could not bake this week. Life is busy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about the pie-turned-soup. The colors of the filling are beautiful together though. Have a great 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great! I love the colors though. Mine was okay, I just a taste of the filling and it was very tart as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi Rebecca
    what a beautiful pie!! great images too!
    now all I want is a slice of that delicious pie
    all the best
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your photos! I agree this looked like the perfect dessert for the 4th! Unfortunately, I had to work all weekend and even missed the cookout at my house!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad it finally turned out for you. Crusts are tricky. But when they turn out - O! boy!

    Lovely pie. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look at all that beautiful fruit! Your pie looks perfect to me! Sorry the crust was stressful; my last experience with Melissa's all butter crust was a disaster but I tried again today. It was better but I'll stick to my regular all butter crust, perfect every time. I cut way back on the sugar so there was less liquid to worry about spilling out of the pie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carmen- I swear I'm going to make the pie crust my friend.

    Serena- I'll have to take a look at the recipe- but I just found this post which you might find interesting-

    http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/11/pie-crust-102-all-butter-really-flaky-pie-dough/

    Chef- I'm enjoying your blog.

    Thanks everyone for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi REbecca,

    Thanks for your comment on my blog. The crust recipe I use is from an old Jim Dodge book, Baking with Jim Dodge. It's the technique that works best for me and uses neither a FP or pastry blender...you roll chunks of butter into the flour with a rolling pin and it creates sheets of butter in the crust. Steam from the butter creates the flakiness and lightness we crave from a crust. I haven't posted the recipe (yet) but you may be able to find the book in your library. A similar recipe by Dodge is here: http://home.mooja.com/recipes/Jim_Dodge_Apple_Pie-2.html The one in his Baking book calls for 2 cups of flour, 14 tablespoons of butter, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar and 5 tablespoons ice water. Freeze the four for 15 minutes, then add the butter chunks and freeze for 15 more minutes. Then the technique is a lot like the recipe in the link. It's a wonderful technique and has never failed me. I hope you find a crust that makes you a pie baking pro!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous pie! Great photos and the fruit looks delicious. Thank you for a great pick this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you liked the filling! I, too, need more practice with pie crust, but I always talk myself out of it :-) Wish I could have baked along with you this week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for hosting this week Rebecca! Your pie looks fantastic. I love the first photo with all the beautiful fruit. I'm with you on the pie crust thing! Pie crust and I have had our issues. This week I cheated and used pillsbury. But I have to say I did have success when we baked the strawberry rhubarb pie using Melissa's all butter pie crust. I think it's one of those things you have to keep practicing at like your piano teacher suggests...sorry! ;) Using the pillsbury crust this week I thought my bottom crust was too soggy or underdone...but I also used a ceramic pie dish. I will try aluminum next time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great selection this week Rebecca! Thank you. My guests thank you. Delicious pie. Yours looks great! I had some issues with it running as well...consider it topping for the ice cream that should always accompany pie, right?!?

    ReplyDelete
  17. According to The Mother, Crisco, not butter, makes the perfect pie crust (do they still sell that?) As for me, I think I'll stick to baking cakes! (LOL) Love your fruit photos!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry I'm so late in commenting, but thanks so much for a fabulous pick this week! I absolutely loved the pie :) I wound up giving most of my mini away because I knew I would eat the whole thing myself. Your photos are great! I've had the soupy pie issue with fruit pies all too often so I know how you feel. Waiting to cut it should really help next time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks a lot for sharing this amazing recipe! I really enjoyed making it and the taste was amazing! keep it up and I hope you share with us more recipes. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the peach and raspberry combination. This looks fabulous! Thanks for sharing this great recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...