5.23.2010

{sms} Butterscotch Pralines

Yum to Butterscotch.  ? for the Praline. Yeah to another recipe for Sweet Melissa Sundays.  Yikes for candy-making. I'm a total novice at that.


After looking up other praline recipes online, I was puzzled as to why this recipe calls for water and not heavy cream.  I'm assuming that the butterscotch morsels are making up for it?

I was mulling over that question as I measured out the sugars, and it didn't dawn on me until everything was dissolving over high heat and looking very murky,

that I was supposed to use LIGHT-BROWN SUGAR.  Uh oh.  These will just have a tad more molasses flavor.


I toasted the pecans for a stronger nut flavor, and I JUST couldn't help it,

I HAD to add a little butter, particularly since the morsels contain next to nothing in it.

Butter appears after Artificial Flavors and Artificial Colors in the ingredients list. My people need to take this up with the Nestlé people and persuade them to put out a better product.

The pralines set up quite nicely. (I left the pecans whole, which was a mistake.  They should be coarsely chopped, as the recipe directs.) Overall, it's a decent recipe; the praline is a very, very sweet confection. Sugar Rush!

Check out the recipe posted by Tess at The Cookin' Chemist, as well as all the other pralines made by the lovely ladies at {sms}.

13 comments:

  1. Rebecca,

    You are quite the inquisitive! Great questions...why no cream, no butter. I think if it was added it would have made for an easier prep time.

    Your pralines actually look great with the whole pecans.

    I'll be following your future SMS posts!

    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look quite good, even though you didn't like them with the whole pecans in them! At least you know for next time to chop em up. And toasting the pecans - a GREAT idea, wish I'd thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im glad they turned out good for you. I agree with you they were super sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you Rebecca- I compared this recipe to a few others and was surprised by the differences in the ingredient lists. I tried to omit the butterscotch chips and didn't have great results so they definitely contribute to the success here. Your pralines look perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pralines look wonderful. I thought these were way too sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used the dark brown sugar too, and they were good! I agree, though -- I wish butterscotch chips weren't so darned artificial.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used a mix of light and dark brown sugars and thought they were delicious! Your pralines look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yours look sooo good!!! Good job with the pralines this week. I am a total novice at candy making, too. That candy thermometer scares me, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pralines look great! They came together really well and I think adding butter is always a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Your pralines look just perfect. I'm so jealous you were able to get nice little puddles of pralines. I agree about chopping the pecans. I left mine whole as well...but pieces would have been better. Great idea to add butter...maybe mine wouldn't have set up so quickly with a little butter in the mix. So sweet and so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Toasting the pecans was a great idea. I, too, researched pralines and came to the same conclusion that the chips replacing the cream? Your pralines look great regardless. Thanks for baking along with me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent job on the pralines! I love that you added butter. I happened to find a different brand of butterscotch chips (Guittard), and I haven't checked the ingredients, but they seemed slightly less artificial than Nestle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. yum, i've almost always got butterscotch chips in the house

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...