10.06.2011

pumpkin streusel coffee cake




Today is THE PERFECT fall day. Loads of sun. Breezy cool air. Auburn leaves. Invigorating and refreshing, all the day needs now is a little cinnamon and spice.

Enter this pumpkin cake. I mixed it up in about 20 minutes, and it baked for about 40, just enough time for me to de-clutter the kitchen and get the bathroom cleaned. All in time for my music meeting.

The Committee Members enjoyed it, with two of them saying that they're not huge pumpkin fans and that this was the perfect amount of pumpkin. (They don't like pumpkin pie, so if you do, you might want a recipe with more pumpkin in it.) I personally like pumpkin any which way, a little more, a little less, it's all good.

Pumpkin Streusel Coffee Cake
by Rebecca @ Beurrista

Printable Recipe

Cake batter:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ginger
¼ teaspoon cloves
¼ teaspoon cardamom
½ cup butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup pumpkin puree
½ cup sour cream

n.b. This is a lightly spiced cake. If you like fuller, spicy flavor, I recommend doubling the spice amounts.

Topping:
½ cup flour
½ cup dark brown sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of salt
6 tablespoons butter, slightly softened, cut into ½-inch pieces
½ cup chopped pecans, optional


For the cake batter:
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease an 9x9 square baking pan.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. Set aside.

Using an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, mix together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla, mix thoroughly. Add the pumpkin and sour cream and mix. Add the flour mixture and slowly combine until no traces of flour are left.

Pour in to the prepared baking pan.

For the topping:
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Add the butter pieces and combine with fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Add the topping to the cake and bake for 40-45 minutes.

this post is linked to show and tell, somewhat simple, sugar and dots, show your stuff, friday flair, tatertots and jello, sundae scoop, think pink sundays, strut your stuff, made by you monday, tuesday tutorial, crazy sweet tuesday



17 comments:

  1. This looks seriously yummy! Our local grocery store was out of canned pumpkin last week, so in a frenzy, I located some at another chain and bought like six cans! Can't wait to bake all things pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fantastic! I am going to make this ASAP :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pumpkin and anything with a streusel topping!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh - could this look any more tempting? I must try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comment on my blog, you have some delicious looking foods on your blogI have a can of pumpkin sat in my pantry, think I will have to give this a go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds delicious, Rebecca! I haven't made anything with pumpkin yet this season, but you've inspired me to get started! Thanks for stopping by my blog! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm, I can almost SMELL it, and it LOOKS delish!! Thanks for the recipe!

    Deborah ♥♥ (visiting happily from http://upcyclingmylife.blogspot.com/... hope you'll drop by to say hi too...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks amazing!! I want to try this....um NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks AMAZING! I pinned it, and can't wait to give it a try! I'd love if you'd link up to my new link party! http://www.sweettreatsandgoodeats.com/2011/10/this-weeks-rfob.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rebecca - I didn't realize these were your recipes! I'm going to try and make this one soon! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Www.Carolinaheartstrings.comOctober 11, 2011 at 7:35 PM

    That is the perfect recipe for a fall morning. I cannot wait to try it. Come visit. We have a wonderful waffle recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks delicious! And the crumble on top...yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummydoodle! This looks fantastic- it is on my "to make asap" list!
    Thank you for popping by my place!
    Kerry at housetalkn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just put two of these in the oven with my own fresh pumpkin! The house is smelling great! Thanks...and thank you from my family. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ Cheree- hope you enjoyed the cake! and i'm so impressed- with your own homegrown pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for this recipe. I just made it today and it was delicious. All six of my kids loved it. Even though I added extra cinnamon and nutmeg and cut down on the sugar. It was a nice treat to kick off our Halloween! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just made this. It took about 60 minutes to cook through. Next time I'll use a 9" x 13" pan - that way there's more too ;) I used whole wheat flour. It was very moist and delicious! Will make again. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...