11.07.2010

pumpkin ginger custard {sms}

I cannot tell you when I last ate homemade pumpkin pie.  I believe pies eaten were by Mrs. Smith, Entenmann's, or ShopRite, which, while wonderfully spiced and smooth, still fall short of the real thing.

And that is why I fell in love with this custard.  I need the real deal.  It is silky.  It is smooth.  It is decadent, but only in the best possible way.  AND it is simple and fast to make.

I regret making only half the recipe, but that was all the heavy cream I had on hand.  I also did not have cinnamon sticks, though in rifling through my spice cabinet I found seven kinds of salts, four chili powders, three ground cinnamon, and cloves four ways.  It's time to purge.

I halved the recipe, which resulted in three ramekins.  I placed them in a baking pan and poured water halfway up the sides.  They baked for about 35 minutes.

I swooned.  And I ate.  I shared the first one with The Daughter, and an hour later, I was digging into the second one.  You can see all the other wonderful results at Sweet Melissa Sundays' link.

Pumpkin Ginger Custard
from The Sweet Melissa Baking Book by Melissa Murphy


One 6x1-inch piece fresh ginger, unpeeled, sliced thinly, and coarsely chopped
2 cinnamon sticks, crushed
1 cup heavy cream
¼ cup whole milk
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
⅔ cup sugar
½ teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups fresh or canned pumpkin puree

Preheat oven to 350ºF.

In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the ginger, crushed cinnamon sticks, heavy cream, and milk to scalding. Remove from the heat, cover, and let steep for 10 minutes. Return the saucepan to medium heat and bring back to scalding.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, sugar, and salt until pale yellow. Whisk in the hot ginger cream little by little, until combined. Strain the mixture into a clean pitcher and set aside.

In a separate bowl, briefly whisk the pumpkin puree until smooth. Slowly whisk in the ginger custard until incorporated.

Pour the pumpkin custard into individual ramekins. Place the ramekins into a roasting dish and pour hot water halfway up around the dishes. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until set — the center is no longer jiggly. Remove to a wire rack to cool.

14 comments:

  1. My mom frequently made pumpkin pie without the crust (i.e. custard!). Leave off the crust and you can eat twice as much of the good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for crustless pie! I went that route too! I promise, pie crust isn't as scary as it seems :) Your custard looks lovely, as does what I can see from your centerpiece :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! These look like lil ramekins of pure joy. Thanks for sharing with me your favorite red velvet recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of people went crustless this week - you guys were smart :) I'm glad this one was such a big hit for you!

    Funny about the spices you found. My cabinet is the exact same way. It could really use a serious organizing/purging effort...

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look beautiful!! Perfect texture!! I think crustless is the way to go with these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SG- Your mom had the right idea.
    Jeannette- thanks for the compliments-
    Kathleen- hope you get to try the red velvet recipe sometime-
    Tracey- we should both sign up for the kitchn cleanup when they run it.
    Julie- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. who needs crust with these? let's just dig in with a spoon already! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great! I loved this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why didn't I think of making it this way. My husband is off of pies so I skipped this recipe and some others. I am going back, if I have time, and making it. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Julie {build, sew, reap}October 8, 2011 at 3:10 PM

    This looks wonderful!

    I saw you on The Frugal Girls.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Custard & pumpkin are two of my favorite things! I'd love if you'd link this up to my new link party! http://www.sweettreatsandgoodeats.com/2011/10/this-weeks-rfob.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness! My mouth is watering! I've got to try this asap! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! Sounds good! Thanks for linking up with us at Show & Share! Can't wait to see what you link up this week!

    Marie
    mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Any thoughts on cooking these in an Instant Pot??

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...