7.24.2011

sun-dried tomatoes, feta, and oregano muffins {sms}


Hello! I have been missing out for awhile now on all the baking fun at Sweet Melissa Sundays. We are near the end of baking through Melissa Murphy's The Sweet Melissa Baking Book— can you believe it— and this week, I am hosting. We have tried all the other versions of her savory muffins; this Mediterranean combination is fantastic would be perfect with a quiche or egg dish. On its own isn't too shabby either.




Cayenne and ground black pepper add just a bit of heat.

I love the combination of the tart sun-dried tomatoes and the salty feta.

Melissa's basic recipe has been problematic for other bakers (too heavy and dry), so I took the liberty of tweaking it a bit by decreasing the flour and baking powder a bit. It's a moist, flavorful, savory muffin


Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Feta, and Oregano Muffins
adapted from The Sweet Melissa Baking Book, by Melissa Murphy

Printable Recipe


2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
pinch of cayenne pepper
pinch of salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 large eggs, room temperature
¾ whole milk, room temperature
¾ cup sun-dried tomatoes
¾ cup crumbled feta
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano

Preheat the oven to 350ºF.  Line a standard 12-cup muffin tin with muffin papers.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne.

In a small bowl, whisk together the melted butter and eggs. Whisk in the milk until combined.

Add the tomatoes, feta and oregano to the flour mixture and gently toss with your fingers to coat.  Make a well in the center.  Pour the butter mixture into the center of the well, and, using a rubber spatula, gently pull the flour mixture into the center of the well until just combined.  Do not over mix.

Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups, filling each cup full.  Sprinkle additional cheese atop each cup.  Bake for 20 minutes, or until lightly golden and a wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.  Remove to a wire rack to cool.

n.b. This recipe halves easily. I also substituted oil for the butter, which works perfectly.

This post is linked up with Friday Favorites and Foodie Fridays.

12 comments:

  1. Your muffins look great! I love Mediterrean flavors. Sorry I didn't get to bake along this time. I can't believe just 2 more recipes until it's all over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to make these, last night, but the heat was still oppressive and I chose not to bake. They look fantastic and are still on my list to make. I am glad you got the chance to make these so I could see how good they are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a definite weakness for all muffins and I especially love coming across a savory recipe. These sound great with the sun dried tomato and feta!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious! I hope you can join us for Martha Stewart's Cupcakes Club on August 15th! I just baked the Rhubarb Cupcakes and the were amazing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those muffins look fantastic. I cannot wait to give them a try. Come over and visit today. We have a great grilled squash recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely meant to make these. Even bought all the ingredients, but the week got away from me... Sorry! This combination of flavors sounds wonderful, and yours look great! I will get them made eventually :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Tessa! I appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got the leftover rhubarb, I might as well bake along... now if only I can get my act together...

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look really good! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites. I'm featuring you this week. Come by and grab my featured button if you'd like one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, congratulations on the feature! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...